©1995, Meramec Highlands Books. 2005 Indexed version
213 pages, with photos and period illustrations, contents fully referenced and indexed.
Awarded Kemper Local History Award in 1997 by the Kirkwood Historical Society, 1993 development grant from the Historical Society of Missouri.
Table of Contents:
Chapter 1 -- St. Louis in the 1890s, A Context for Meramec Highlands: St. Louis'
Only Exclusive Health Resort
2 -- Marcus Bernheimer: Founder of the Meramec Highlands
3 -- Sunset Hill Electric Light, Water and Power Company
4 -- Rock of Ages: The Meramec Highlands Quarry
5 -- Meramec Highlands Inn and Cottages
6 -- Meramec Highlands Depot
7 -- Meramec Highlands Frisco Tunnel
8 -- Curative Waters of the Meramec Highlands
9 -- Meramec Highlands Store
10 - Postmark: Meramec Highlands
11 - School in the Meramec Highlands
12 - Meramec Highlands Sunday School Chapel
13 - Meramec River Amusements
14 - Meramec Highlands Streetcar Loop
15 - The Competition: Eden Park
16 - The Intoxicating Highlands
17 - Osage Hills to Greenbriar Hills
18 - Bibliography & Index
"King Trolley and the Suburban Queens" (November 2005) is now available for purchase for $25.00 + tax & $8.00 Shipping. Payment is to be made using PayPal.
308 pages with over 70 photographs, maps, and period illustrations. Fully referenced and indexed. Softbound 8.5 by 11 inch book. The story of streetcar service to Meramec Highlands, Kirkwood, Webster Groves, and other St. Louis County, Missouri destinations from 1890 to 1950.
©2005, Meramec Highlands Books
Table of Contents:
1. The Times of "King Trolley" - A Context2. Promotion, Talk, and More Promotion3. Construction Moves Forward4. Drastic Action and Heady Success5. Disaster on the "Air Line"6. Assigning Blame7. The Air Line Bounces Back - Briefly8. St. Louis and Meramec River Railroad Arrives in Webster Groves9. St. Louis and Suburban Arrives in Kirkwood10. Party in the Summer - Freeze in the Winter11. Kirkwood vs. St. Louis and Suburban12. Suburban's Railway Post Office13. St. Louis & Suburban "Escapes" Transit Merger14. Suburban on Strike15. Hold 'Em or Fold 'Em16. The Suburban's Clayton Connection17. Loop Anchors Maplewood's Development18. The Ferguson Connection19. From a Scandal Low to a World's Fair High20. United Railways Service 1907-191921. Receivership Years 1919-192722. Public Service Company 1927-193923. The End of the Line24. Memories: Kirkwood-Ferguson and Manchester Lines25. Maps and More
26. Bibliography & Index
For additional information; email James Baker.
Meramec Highlands – Another View Vol. 1
Meramec Highlands - Another View is a follow-up to Glimpses of Meramec Highlands published in 1995. The history of the turn of the 20th century health resort on the bluffs overlooking the Meramec River in west Kirkwood, Missouri covers information not included in Glimpses. The 340 page 8.5 by 11 inch paperback includes references for each chapter and an extensive index. Numerous previously unpublished illustrations, maps, and photographs are included. Copyright 2017.
Price - $25.00 + tax & $8.00 shipping. Local St. Louis area purchasers may contact the publisher directly to order at a lesser rate for shipping.
Table of Contents:
1. In the Beginning – Native American Presence
2. Marcus Bernheimer – “Failed” Entrepreneur
3. Meramec Highlands Quarry – Dee Koestering Park
4. The Lane Quarry House
5. Meramec Highlands Inn and Cottages
6. The Frisco Railroad
7. Meramec Highlands Frisco Station
8. The Frisco Station’s Bumpy Road from “At Risk” to “Renovated”
9. Station Agent – Della Snyder
10. Frisco Tunnel Tales
11. Deadly Train Wrecks at the Highlands
12. Meramec Highlands Store
13. Pretty Boy Floyd – Infamous Resident of the Highlands Store
14. Dancing Destination – the Pagoda
15. Eden Park – the Pagoda’s Competition
16. Groth Bar and Livery
17. The Curative Waters of the Meramec Highlands
18. River Recreation near the Highlands
19. Camping by the Meramec
20. The JINX on the Meramec
21. Meramec Highlands School District
22. Osage Hills School
23. Street Rail – End of the Line
24. Farming in the Highlands
25. Dairies in the Highlands
26. Ice Harvesting at Meramec Highlands
27. Three Park Proposals Defeated
28. Meramec Highlands – Kirkwood’s First Historic District
Meramec Highlands - Another View Vol.1
Meramec Highlands - Another View is a follow-up to Glimpses of Meramec Highlands published in 1995. The history of the turn of the 20th century health resort on the bluffs overlooking the Meramec River in west Kirkwood, Missouri covers information not included in Glimpses. The 340 page digital book includes references for each chapter and an extensive index. Chapters are linked to the Table of Contents. Numerous previously unpublished illustrations, maps, and photographs are included. Copyright 2017.
Price $15.00 + tax & free shipping