Meramec Highlands Books
1015 Barberry Lane
Kirkwood, Mo, 63122
James F. Baker, proprietor
Table of Contents:
- "Glimpses of Meramec Highlands" (1995) is in its sixth printing. An extensive index and a new introduction has been added in honor of ten years in print. Copies of the index may be purchased separately for $3.00. Glimpses of Meramec Highlands is a 213 page book in a presentation binder. It has won the Kemper Local History Award from the Kirkwood Historical Society. The 2005 edition with index and a new introduction costs $23.95.
- 213 pages, with photos and period illustrations, contents fully referenced and indexed. See a newspaper article on the book's initial release.
- Awarded Kemper Local History Award in 1997 by the Kirkwood Historical Society, 1993 development grant from the Historical Society of Missouri.Chapter 1 -- St. Louis in the 1890s, A Context for Meramec Highlands: St. Louis'
Only Exclusive Health Resort
2 -- Marcus Bernheimer: Founder of the Meramec Highlands
3 -- Sunset Hill Electric Light, Water and Power Company
4 -- Rock of Ages: The Meramec Highlands Quarry
5 -- Meramec Highlands Inn and Cottages
6 -- Meramec Highlands Depot
7 -- Meramec Highlands Frisco Tunnel
8 -- Curative Waters of the Meramec Highlands
9 -- Meramec Highlands Store
10 - Postmark: Meramec Highlands
11 - School in the Meramec Highlands
12 - Meramec Highlands Sunday School Chapel
13 - Meramec River Amusements
14 - Meramec Highlands Streetcar Loop
15 - The Competition: Eden Park
16 - The Intoxicating Highlands
17 - Osage Hills to Greenbriar Hills
18 - Bibliography & Index
- Glimpses of Meramec Highlands - Index 9 pages - 3 hole punched to complete the 1995 edition. Price is $3.00.To Order
- We are currently collecting photos and information for a second volume on Meramec Highlands, tentatively titled, "Meramec Highlands, Missouri: A Second Look." This volume will delve into aspects of the resort and the lives of residents and visitors to the Meramec Highlands area. Please see the info page to submit any information.
©2005, Meramec Highlands Books
- "King Trolley and the Suburban Queens" (November 2005) is now available for purchase for $24.95. Payment is to be made using PayPal.
- 308 pages with over 70 photographs, maps, and period illustrations. Fully referenced and indexed. Softbound 8.5 by 11 inch book. The story of streetcar service to Meramec Highlands, Kirkwood, Webster Groves, and other St. Louis County, Missouri destinations from 1890 to 1950.
Table of Contents:
Chapter 1 -- The Times of "King Trolley" - A Context
2 -- Promotion, Talk, and More Promotion
3 -- Construction Moves Forward
4 -- Drastic Action and Heady Success
5 -- Disaster on the "Air Line"
6 -- Assigning Blame
7 -- The Air Line Bounces Back - Briefly
8 -- St. Louis and Meramec River Railroad Arrives in Webster Groves
9 -- St. Louis and Suburban Arrives in Kirkwood
10 - Party in the Summer - Freeze in the Winter
11 - Kirkwood vs. St. Louis and Suburban
12 - Suburban's Railway Post Office
13 - St. Louis & Suburban "Escapes" Transit Merger
14 - Suburban on Strike
15 - Hold 'Em or Fold 'Em
16 - The Suburban's Clayton Connection
17 - Loop Anchors Maplewood's Development
18 - The Ferguson Connection
19 - From a Scandal Low to a World's Fair High
20 - United Railways Service 1907-1919
21 - Receivership Years 1919-1927
22 - Public Service Company 1927-1939
23 - The End of the Line
24 - Memories: Kirkwood-Ferguson and Manchester Lines
25 - Maps and More
26 - Bibliography & Index
- For additional information; email James Baker.
Back to Main Page